Saturday, January 8, 2011

Common Sense Vs Bravado...

Capsized and Floating about 50m downwind of the top mark of the first race today after about 5 capsizes and watching the rest of my fleet start their second downwind leg I had an epiphany of sorts. I could struggle downwind and try and make it to the start for the second race (i had barely made it to the start of the first race), or I could head in and save my body and boat for the next 4 days of sailing where the conditions may be more suited to learning something. Common sense Vs Bravado (or Ego, not quite sure which), what to do?

Common sense won. You have to know your limits when sailing, and today's conditions of maybe 18+ were above mine. After all coming to the Moth Worlds was about learning, and it is supposed to be a holiday too...

So after yesterdays reasonable scores, today I will end up with 333 points, but I was never going to make Gold fleet anyway.

Congrats to those that did well, and commiserations to the those that may have a bit of work to do tonight to get the boat back on the water tomorrow.

In the immortal words of The Terminator, "I'll be Back" for more bruises and fast sailing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment