Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Doctor Arrives

The famous "Freo Doctor" finally showed up today for one of the first times this season, and made for some interesting sailing for a "L" plate moth sailor.

After spending a little time trying to get the feel of the boat in waves and a fairly serious bit of wind (www.seabreeze.com.au shows 18 - 22 kts about the time I decided to pack it in) compared to what I have been practicing in, the sailing gods started to give me some signals that it was time to take a pass on anymore sailing.

These included:


  • A frustrating cut on my thumb from the trailing edge of my main foil (2nd time now, you'd think i'd learn). Tramps are now red polka dot in places
  • Managing to skewer my tiller extension between the foot of the main and boom, and then through the sail. That took some thinking to untangle capsized (vang off was the trick...)
  • Nicely developed waves, a first for me and the wand and foil settings were not ready to deal with this!
  • An ability to keep missing the toestraps when I need them most. They are being tightened before tomorrows sailing...
So its a public holiday here tomorrow, try to go for a sail in the morning and get back on the slow road forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment