Thursday, October 14, 2010

Open Source Wingo Design?

Sitting out in the middle of the Timor Sea at work, 6 hours by air from the nearest hospital (not to self: don't break important human bits) gives one many opportunities to think about things they would rather be doing. For me, being back at home hanging out with my wife is top of the list, but all this talk of wings sails has prompted a flurry of internet searching, sketches, load assumptions and the like in my off time.

My only problem is, as I assume for the majority of moth sailors, I have an understanding of the concepts of what needs to go into the wing from a basic structure, shape and function point of view, but I can't afford the time to come up with a prototype and then continue to break it as I develop it.

So I was thinking that there must be others in the same boat. Brilliant fabricators who can build any shape from carbon but wouldn't know where to start with calulating the loads, aerodynamic gurus who know what the shape needs to be but can't envisage the controls to make that happen etc. And a bunch of Do It Yourselfers who for their different reasons would rather build than buy off the shelf.

So I propose the Moth Open Source Wingo Sail project. A collaboration of likeminded moth sailors developing a base wingsail design from which we can all further develop to suit our individual requirements, knowing that the chance that the majority of the potential flaws have been ironed out at the design stage and not discovered after the build is complete.

This concept has worked in the past (the Flying Tiger 10m project on Sailing Anarchy is a good example), but does it fit in with the "Reclusive Mad Scientist in the Basement" Moth culture. A a relatively new mothie I'll ask for your guidance on that!

Let me know your thought by leaving a comment below. Who knows, this might grow wings... and fly!

11 comments:

  1. I'm keen! Got a design under way based largely on some guidance from Steve Clark and some minor reverse engineering from pics of Bora and Adam flying around, happy to email pics of design progress if desired.

    Email me: jon@foilermoth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jon and Colin,
    not having the source to do design or engineering work at present, but being able to do the ribs in carbon-prepreg in our little oven at www.CTMat.de Only charging what is really necessary. Mostly working with left overs. Maybe a source for us Northern Europe Mothies. Better to do 4-5 equal parts at a time other than only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interested in getting involved. I've been thinking about a similar open source project for a while. I have a background in web dev, engineering and am a keen hobby boat builder. No experience with wings yet but I guess not many people have

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in too. I am keen but was not planning to build anything this year. The idea of an Open Source wing design occurred to me too. I have a Naval Architecture education and some years of designing and building experience but now very little about wings. Found some stuff on the BoatDesign forum but very keen to share ideas and knowledge.

    I need a new rig because my sail is 2 seasons old and my mast is 5 years old. So if a wing is cheaper is would make sense to build.

    We do have a subversion server for the IMCA site which we could use to share files and build a site.... We can publish stuff to the IMCA website too. I did my Flashheart build as an Open Source project but I think that a wing is more applicable to the sharing of data.

    Maybe the IMCA forum is the place to discuss this? Anyway count me in I will try to be an active contributer.

    All the best,

    Doug Culnane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bruce had a wiki one time; not sure what happened to that. If you went with a wiki then someone should be the editor; preferably someone with enough background to vet the content, or who would know whom to ask. Adam has always been helpful, but he may not have the time. Forums are good but so many off-topic things get posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something like Assembla could be good to use for collaboration. Many tools in one place. also think it's free for Open Source projects

    http://www.assembla.com/features

    Just starting to use it myself but heard good things about it

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "Team Collaboration" version of Assembla sounds like it might be the most useful for collaboration on a wing; other options appear more suited to software development (no offense intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm collecting some more info and Colin's doing some calcs... renderings should appear shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.moth-sailing.org/imca/faces/Forum.jsp

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kicked off a wiki article on Bruce's wiki...let's start filling it in....

    wiki.mothosphere.com


    Kirk

    ReplyDelete